Dec 05, 2023
The Cameron School of Business offers the Master of Business Administration degree for qualified holders of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Students with at least 5 years of professional experience can be nominated or can self-nominate for the Executive MBA Option. If selected, Executive MBA students complete 6 additional credits in the form of residencies.
MBA graduate coordinator: Dr. Nivine Richie
Executive MBA coordinator: Dr. Rebecca Guidice
- All programs use integrated learning methodology that parallels business practice for: preparation in the core functions of business including accountancy, economics, finance, marketing, business regulation and legal environment, information systems, and production and operations management.
- Development of certain analytical and quantitative skills applicable to effective business decision-making.
- Formation of thought about current and future challenges facing business leaders with emphasis on communications, teamwork, organizational change, information technology, total quality, the international dimension of business, technological innovation, social responsibility and ethics.
Applicants seeking admission to the M.B.A. program are required to choose one of the following specializations:
- General Business
- Business Analytics
- Entrepreneurship & Business Development
- Healthcare Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information Systems
- International Business
- Supply Chain Management
They are also required to submit the following to the Graduate School:
- An application for graduate admission.
- Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate).
- Two online recommendations including one from an employer or supervisor who can comment on the applicant’s work experience and potential for successful completion of a master’s program.
- Applicant’s resume and cover letter.
- Two years of professional work experience is required.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better in undergraduate work. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 must demonstrate professional experience/advancement that shows progression since graduation and indicates how they will contribute to the program.
- A GMAT score above 500 or an equivalent GRE, which is waived for one or more of the following:
- Five or more years of progressive managerial or military work experience
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.2 or higher
- Completion of an advanced degree (graduate level or above) involving some quantitative coursework
- A minimum score of 79 on the internet-based TOEFL iBT test or 6.5 on IELTS test is required for non-native English speakers only, unless applicant earned their baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited US institution. Scores are good for two years from the date the test is administered.
- Application and supplemental documents must be submitted by the published deadline.
Executive M.B.A. Selection
Students with at least five years of professional work experience can be nominated or can self-nominate to the Executive M.B.A. If selected, Executive M.B.A. candidates complete 6 additional credits in the form of residencies.
- Thirty-six credit hours of approved graduate credit must be satisfactorily completed for the degree. Classes begin six times per year and can be completed in as little as 12 months if enrolled full-time or two years if enrolled part-time.
- Each student must successfully complete an integrative written analysis project in MBA 558 - Strategic Management .
- Each student must complete the approved course of study within five years of the date of first registration for graduate study.
- Courses requested for transfer are evaluated on a case by case basis. Generally, no more than 3 credits from non-AACSB accredited universities will be accepted, and no more than 9 credits from AACSB accredited. universities. will be accepted. The Graduate Associate Dean determines how the courses, if any, will be transferred and will request recommendations from the faculty who teach within the disciplines being requested.
- Up to 12 credits from the Business Foundations Certificate program or 12 credits from the M. S. Chemistry with a Business Concentration can be applied towards the MBA degree.
- After admittance, students who wish to complete a course offered by another graduate program at UNCW must have the course approved by the MBA Director before enrolling.
Executive M.B.A. (6 credit hours)
The Executive MBA is designed for business professionals to expand their leadership skills by participating in two 3-day intensive residencies and one week-long international or domestic business consultancy project.
Course Requirements (36 Credit Hours):
All MBA students will be required to take the following courses:
A. Core Requirements (30 credit hours)
The following courses comprise the core of knowledge essential to an understanding of modern business and managerial practice.
B. Capstone Project
Each student must successfully complete an integrative written analysis project in MBA 558 Strategic Management.
C. Specialization Coursework (6 credit hours)
Candidates will strengthen their knowledge and sharpen their skills in particular areas by taking courses in an elective area. Students in the General Business specialization may select any two electives from the courses listed in the specializations below.
Students may select electives from the other specializations.
Business Analytics specialization students may substitute electives from an expanded list of elective courses in the MS Business Analytics program. This expanded list is only available to students specializing in Business Analytics.
Entrepreneurship & Business Development
Human Resource Management
Required: MIS 520 and select one from MIS 504, MIS 527, or MIS 545