Dec 04, 2023
Graduate Coordinator: Dr. Amelia Huelskamp
The Masters of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) with a specialization in Physical Education and Health (PEH) is a 33-hour program for students who are seeking initial teaching certification in Physical Education and Health. Successful completion of the program and licensure requirements will lead to a Master’s Degree and North Carolina Physical Education and Health teacher certification. The target audiences for this degree include those who wish to teach Physical Education and Health to children in K-12 schools or adults in higher education settings.
Upon completion of the graduate M.A.T. in Physical Education & Health Specialization, the candidate should be able to:
- Demonstrate the application of basic and advanced principles in motor skill acquisition in the instruction in physical education and health at all grade levels.
- Demonstrate proficiency in utilizing a variety of teaching styles applicable to student learning styles during individual and group instruction.
- Effectively design and administer K-12 physical education and coordinated school health programs.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct age/stage appropriate physical education and health learning outcomes assessment and evaluation at all grade levels.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills that can be utilized when interacting with colleagues, administrators, and families.
- Use technology to enhance the academic achievement of K-12 students.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate methods for working with diverse student populations.
- Students will demonstrate appropriate use of technology in the supervision and evaluation of teaching.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge about current trends and issues in physical education and health.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university completed before graduate study begins
- Official copies of transcripts of all college, university or community college work (undergraduate and graduate). Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better is recommended
- 3 letters of recommendation
- This program prepares individuals for North Carolina teacher certification in the area of Physical Education & Health. A letter of interest (no more than 2 pages) describing any past experiences that might prepare you for your studies and your future goals in this area is required.
- Application and supplemental documents must be submited by the published deadline
Degree Requirements (33 total credit hours)
Professional Core (6 credit hours):
Choose TWO courses from the list below:
Core Courses (21 credit hours):
Internship (6 credit hours):
- Candidates completing the specialization will be required to complete a teaching portfolio, part of which would include an action research project.The portfolio will be based on specialization objectives and state/national standards for PEH teachers.
- Required to earn a grade of A or B in EDN 590 - Student Teaching in Education Credits: 6