Feb 09, 2023
Graduate Coordinator: Dr. L.J. Randolph
The Master of Education with specialization in Spanish Education is designed for candidates who are teaching Spanish at the public school levels kindergarten through grade twelve. Applicants to the program must already hold a bachelor’s degree and teacher certification. Graduates will possess the knowledge and skills necessary to work in professional and leadership positions within public and private school settings. Students will complete 33 credit hours in the professional core, Spanish core, and electives.
Upon completion of the M.Ed. with specialization in Spanish Education, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the field of Spanish language and culture.
- Plan and implement instruction for effective language learning.
- Use technology to enhance the academic achievement of Spanish language learners.
- Evaluate instructional procedures and practices.
- Adapt instruction to the learning and developmental needs of individuals, including students with special needs and those from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Incorporate findings from educational literature into school and classroom strategies to improve student learning.
- Demonstrate effective leadership within that school environment.
- Reflect on professional goals and plan for professional development.
- Bachelor’s degree completed before graduate study begins.
- Official copies of transcripts of college works (graduate and undergraduate). An undergraduate grade average of “B” (GPA=3.0) or better is recommended.
- Official scores on Miller Analogies Test or Graduate Record Exam.
- Three recommendations by individuals in relevant professional fields.
- A letter of interest describing commitment to the teaching profession, prior experiences working with World Language learners, prior experiences in schools, and philosophy of teaching and learning.
- A Spanish writing sample and a Spanish speaking sample or interview.
- Application and supplemental documents must be submitted by the published deadline.
Degree Requirements (33 total credit hours)
The M.Ed. Specialization in Spanish Education requires a minimum of 33 credit hours including the Professional Core, Spanish core, electives, and completion of an exit requirement.
Professional Core (12 credit hours required)
Spanish Core (15 credit hours required from below, to be chosen in consultation with the Program Coordinator)
Electives (6 credit hours)
- Two electives from EDL 500-599, EDN 500-599, or SPN 500-599 ( as approved by the Program Coordinator)
Candidates completing the specialization are required to complete a teaching portfolio which is included in SPN 550 . The portfolio is to be based on specialization objectives and state/national standards for World Language teachers.