Jul 16, 2024  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalogue 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalogue Archived Catalogue

University Regulations

Students are responsible for knowing and abiding by the policies included in this catalogue.

Academic Honor Code

The University of North Carolina is a community of high academic standards where academic integrity is valued. UNCW students are committed to honesty and truthfulness in academic inquiry and in the pursuit of knowledge. Any member of the university community who has reasonable grounds to believe that an infraction of the Student Academic Honor Code has occurred has an obligation to report the alleged violation. This obligation is a core value of the Honor Code and must be fulfilled by each and every member of the university.

Academic dishonesty takes many forms, from blatant acts of cheating, bribery, or similar misdeeds to the more subtle forms of plagiarism, all of which are totally unacceptable in an institution of higher learning. Reporting and adjudication procedures have been developed to enforce the policy of academic integrity, to ensure justice, and to protect individual rights. Complete details may be found in the current Code of Student Life and the Faculty Handbook and at http://www.uncw.edu/policies/documents/03_100FINALHONORCODE_Aug2009.pdf.

Academic Honor Societies

A list of academic honor societies with verified chapters at UNCW may be found at http://www.uncw.edu/aa/Academic_Honor_Societies.html

Advanced Placement

The University of North Carolina Wilmington participates in the advanced placement programs of the College Entrance Examination Board. A brochure listing the examinations, required minimum scores, course equivalents, and credits awarded is available online at http://www.uncw.edu/reg/transfercredit-examAP.htm. A student who earns the minimum required score or better on the Advanced Placement test will receive appropriate college credit and advanced placement. Incoming students should have the score reports sent to the Office of Admissions for evaluation concerning placement and credit. Individual departments have determined the specific courses for which credit will be given.

Students who are talented and well prepared may also receive credit for a variety of courses by achieving a passing score on one of the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests. Students can register for the offered tests at University Testing Services, http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/testing/programs.htm.

Students who have been exempted with credit from courses at an accredited college or university may be exempted with credit from appropriate courses at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, as outlined in the test brochure. When the exemption is based on a test result, the student should have a copy of the score report sent to the Office of Admissions. In those cases in which a student has demonstrated knowledge of a particular field by more advanced course work, exemptions may be granted on an individual basis by the appropriate department chairperson.

Supplementary foreign language credit: Students who complete, with a grade of “C” or better, a French, German, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese or Spanish course numbered 201 or higher (excluding 209, 210, 211, and 212) and who have received no AP credit, no transfer credit, and no prior credit at UNCW in that language shall be granted supplemental credit as follows:

  • For completion of a 200-level course, the student shall receive three credit hours for the prior course in the sequence.
  • For completion of a 300-level course in French, German or Latin, the student shall receive six credit hours for 201 and 202.
  • For completion of SPN 303 , the student will receive 6 credit hours for SPN 202  and SPN 302 .
  • For completion of SPN 302 , the student will receive 6 credit hours for SPN 201  and SPN 202 .

This credit may be used to fulfill university studies requirements.

Supplementary mathematics credit: Students who complete MAT 161  with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better and who receive no advanced placement credit, no transfer credit, and no prior credit at UNCW in mathematics will receive credit for MAT 115 . Students who complete MAT 162  with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better and who receive no advanced placement credit, no transfer credit, and no prior credit at UNCW in mathematics will receive credit for MAT 161 . Students who complete MAT 261  with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better and who receive no advanced placement credit, no transfer credit, and no prior credit at UNCW in mathematics will receive credit for MAT 161  and MAT 162 .


Students and their advisors confer when necessary, but they must confer at least once before every registration period to review goals, plans for achieving them, and any problems encountered or anticipated. Students have the responsibility to understand and meet the requirements for the curriculum under which they are studying and should seek advice as appropriate.


The auditing of courses without credit is approved by special permission of the registrar and of the instructor involved. Individuals not regularly enrolled as students in the university who wish to audit courses will be classified as special students and will be required to pay regular tuition and fees. Auditing by special students is restricted to classroom-based courses only. No distance education or computer-based courses may be audited by special students. These individuals must complete all registration and any other administrative processes in person at the Office of the Registrar. University students with regular status will be permitted to audit courses and must pay the same tuition and fees required for credit courses. See also Repeating of Courses.

Cancellation of Course Registration Policy

An instructor of any course may cancel a student’s registration in his/her course if the registered student fails to attend the first class meeting of the term and fails to notify the instructor of his/her desire to remain enrolled within 24 hours of the class meeting time. Student appeals resulting from emergencies or other extenuating circumstances will be considered on a case-by-case basis in the appropriate dean’s office. Students who wish to drop or withdraw from a class should not assume they have done so by not attending the first class or subsequent classes.

The appropriate dean’s office should notify the relevant department chairperson of late-arrival students who cannot attend the first class meeting because of illness or other reasons approved by a dean of the college or the professional schools or the dean of students.

If cancellation action is taken by an instructor, the registration openings resulting from this action will be offered to students seeking enrollment in the courses during the official drop/add period.

Change of Major or Minor

For students assigned to the University College for advising, all requests for a declaration of major or option, the declaration of a double major or the declaration of a minor in the College of Arts and Sciences must be completed in the University College office. For students beyond University College, the change of major or option, the declaration of a double major, or the declaration or change of a minor in the College of Arts and Sciences or a professional school must be completed in the Office of the Registrar. The only exception is for students changing from one department in a professional school to another department in the same school. These requests must be completed in the office of the dean of that school. Students are advised to consult with their advisor in the original major before changing majors.

Change of Name and Address

It is the obligation of every student to notify the Office of the Registrar in writing of any change in name. Documentation in the form of a government-issued identification (such as valid driver’s license or voter registration card) plus a photo identification is required for name changes. Addresses may be updated by way of the student information system on SeaNet.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to be present at all regular class meetings and examinations for the courses in which they are registered. All faculty members are responsible for setting policy concerning the role of attendance in determining grades for their classes. It is the responsibility of the students to learn and comply with the policies set for each class for which they are registered.

North Carolina General Statute 116-11(3a) and UNC policy authorizes a minimum of two excused absences each academic year for religious observances required by the faith of a student. Students may be required to provide written notice of the request for an excused absence a reasonable time prior to the religious observance. The student shall be given the opportunity to make up any tests or other work missed due to an excused absence for a religious observance.

Classification of Students

Students are classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Semester hours passed are used to determine these classifications. In order to graduate in eight semesters, a student must average 31 hours each year.

The required number of hours passed for each classification is as follows:

  Less than 27 semester hours credit - Freshman
  From 27-58 semester hours credit - Sophomore
  From 59-88 semester hours credit - Junior
  More than 88 semester hours credit - Senior

Code of Student Life

The Code of Student Life is the primary source of information regarding the rights, responsibilities, and expected levels of conduct of students in the university community. The Code of Student Life is available in hard copy at the Office of the Dean of Students and online at www.uncw.edu/cosl.

Conversion from Unclassified Status

An unclassified student who has not previously attended another college or university and has met all requirements for admission as a degree candidate may apply to the Office of Admissions to convert to degree status upon completing a minimum of 15 credit hours with a “C” (2.00) average or better on all work attempted. This minimum 15 credit hours must include ENG 101  and three hours of basic mathematics with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better in each of these courses.

An unclassified student who has previously attended another college or university and has met all requirements for admission as a degree candidate may apply to convert to degree status if the student has completed ENG 101  and three hours of basic mathematics with a “C’ (2.00) or better in each of these courses and if the student has achieved a grade point average of at least 2.00 on all work attempted at all institutions attended.

Unclassified students intending to pursue a degree are advised to apply for degree status prior to the application deadline established for the semester. Acceptance into certain degree programs will depend on the student’s prior college performance. See also section on Degree Programs and Requirements  in this catalogue.

Dean’s List

To be included in the Dean’s List at the close of each semester, students must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Students carrying 12-14 hours must earn a grade point average of 3.50 or better with no grade less than “B” (3.00).
  2. Students carrying 15 hours or more must earn a grade point average of 3.20 or better with no grade less than “B” (3.00).
  3. Students participating in the Honors Program who are carrying 12-14 total hours but are not receiving a grade for the current semester of honors work shall be eligible for the Dean’s List if their grade point average on the remaining 9-11 hours otherwise meets current standards for the Dean’s List.

Students carrying 11 hours or fewer are not eligible for the Dean’s List. Pass/fail hours will not be used in the calculation of Dean’s List.

Declaration of Major

Undergraduate students admitted as freshmen may declare and be accepted into a major field of study after completing a minimum of 24 semester hours at the university. They must declare a major before or during the semester that they complete 45 semester hours of credit. Students may be prevented from preregistering or registering for the following semester until a major or a pre-major has been declared. Additional advising may be required prior to registration for continuing students who have completed 30 hours or more and have not declared a major or a pre-major.

Transfer students are required to select a major or a pre-major at the time of admission to UNCW. Advising of transfer students is done within the chosen major field.

Schools, departments and programs with admission requirements have a pre-major, and that academic unit provides discipline-specific advice. Students accepted into pre-major status should have a high probability of completing the admission requirements in the major within two semesters of acceptance. Students are not allowed to earn more than 35 semester hours while in the pre-major category. If a student exceeds 35 hours, he/she must meet with the Dean of the college or school to discuss a course of action.

Degrees with Distinction

Three degrees with distinction are granted to graduating students based on all work attempted in meeting requirements for the degree as follows:

Cum Laude for an overall average of 3.50
Magna Cum
Laude for an overall average of 3.70
Summa Cum Laude
for an overall average of 3.90

Degrees with distinction are granted to transfer students under the following conditions:

  1. The student must have the required overall average on all work attempted (including all transfer courses attempted).
  2. The student must have the required average on work attempted at the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Grades issued by a foreign institution are not calculated into the UNCW grade point average in determining degrees with distinction.

Students who complete the Departmental Honors Program satisfactorily will be graduated “With Honors” in the discipline in which the special work is undertaken. Students who complete the University Honors Program will have the additional designation “University Honors.”

Determining Enrollment Status

Because the university must officially respond to requests for a determination of a student’s enrollment status from outside agencies as well as university offices, the following policy is provided:

Full-time status requires a minimum enrollment of 12 credit hours.
Half-time status requires a minimum enrollment of 6 credit hours.

Full-time status requires a minimum enrollment of 12 credit hours across all sessions in the summer term.
Half-time status requires a minimum enrollment of 6 credit hours across all sessions in the summer term.
Enrollment status for determining financial aid eligibility is calculated across all sessions in the summer term.


The University of North Carolina Wilmington regards e-mail as an official method of communication with students, staff and faculty. The UNCW e-mail address is the official address for faculty, staff and student electronic communications. Faculty, staff and students assume full responsibility for the decision to forward e-mail, and any failure to receive e-mail communications due to an alternative e-mail service does not necessarily constitute a defense for failure to respond. While e-mail is an official method of communication, it is not the only official method of communication and does not exclude alternate methods such as written or oral communications. All members of the university community must maintain good e-mail management habits and adhere to the standards of responsible use specified in the UNCW Responsible Use of Electronic Resources Policy (www.uncw.edu/policies/documents/07.100_Resp_Use_of_Elec_Resources0807.pdf) if the institution is to maintain a quality, collaborative computing environment.

Final Examination Policy

University policy requires the scheduling of final examinations. Under this policy, the final examination schedule provides a three-hour period for each examination and allows a maximum of four examinations per day. The length of the final examination, up to a maximum of three hours, is at the discretion of the instructor.

The final examination schedule is published at the beginning of each semester. Courses offered during the day have final examinations during the day. Night courses have final examinations at night.

A student who is scheduled to take three or more final examinations in one calendar day may have one or more rescheduled so that no more than two per day are required. To reschedule an exam the student must notify the three (or four) instructors and the appropriate dean(s) of this desire at least two weeks before the beginning of the final examination period. It will be the responsibility of the instructors, working with the student, to reschedule the exam(s) and so inform the student and the appropriate dean(s) at least one week before the beginning of the final examination period.

Rescheduling of a final examination for an entire class may be done only with the approval of the appropriate dean.

Grade Appeal Procedure

Any student considering a grade appeal should understand that each faculty member has the academic freedom and responsibility to determine grades according to any method, chosen by the faculty member, that is professionally acceptable, communicated to everyone in the class, and applied to all students equally. However, prejudiced or capricious academic evaluation by a faculty member is a violation of a student’s rights and is the valid ground for a grade appeal.

Any student who contests a course grade shall first attempt to resolve the matter with the instructor involved. Failing to reach a satisfactory resolution, the student may appeal the grade in accordance with the procedures outlined below. These procedures are not to be used in cases involving student academic dishonesty. An appeal must be made no later than the last day of the next succeeding regular semester. Grades not appealed by that time become permanent.

  1. The student shall present the appeal in writing to the chairperson of the department within which the contested grade was awarded. The written statement shall limit itself to citations of evidence pertaining to the valid ground for the appeal. By conferring with the student and the instructor, the chairperson will seek resolution by mutual agreement.
  2. Failing such resolution the department chairperson shall transmit the written appeal to the appropriate dean who will convene the Grade Appeals Committee.
  3. The Grade Appeals Committee shall consist of the convening dean and five faculty members appointed by the dean. If the committee affirms the instructor’s decision, the dean will notify in writing the faculty member, the student, and the department chairperson as appropriate. If the committee supports the student’s appeal, it shall prescribe the method by which the student will be reevaluated. The grade resulting from the prescribed reevaluation is final and may not be further appealed.

Grades and Reports

Unless modified in accordance with established procedures, each grade assigned by faculty (including a grade of “W” or a grade in a course that has been repeated) is permanent and cannot be removed from a student’s official record or transcript.

The University of North Carolina Wilmington uses the grade point system and semester hour credit for calculating student achievement. Plus (+) or minus (-) grades may be awarded at the discretion of the faculty. Grade symbols used are the following:

  Grade Grade Points*  
  F 0.00 Failure
  I 0.00 Incomplete
  IP 0.00 In Progress (Multi-Term Courses and Projects)
  W 0.00 Withdrawn
  WF 0.00 Failure/Late Withdrawal
  NR 0.00 Not Reported by Faculty
  Z 0.00 Under Appeal
  P 0.00 Satisfactory Work

*Earned grade points equal quality points

The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the accumulated number of grade points (quality points) earned by the accumulated number of quality hours. Hours for which grades of “F” or “WF” have been assigned are included in the calculation of the GPA. Grades of “I,” “IP,” “W,” “NR,” “Z” and “P” are not included in the calculation of the GPA.

At the discretion of the instructor, a student may be given a grade of Incomplete when the work in the course has not been completed for reasons beyond the control of the student. All incomplete grades must be removed according to a deadline established by the instructor, but no later than the end of the next regular semester otherwise the “I” becomes “F” and cannot be changed. A student must not register for the class when attempting to remove a grade of Incomplete. No student will be allowed to graduate with an Incomplete grade on his/her academic record. Such grades that have not been resolved at the time of graduation will be converted to an “F.” If a student meets graduation requirements, despite the “F,” the appropriate degree will be awarded.

An “IP” is assigned to departmental honors projects (499) in semesters other than their final one. Upon successful completion of the entire project, “IP” grades from previous semesters are converted to letter grades, and grade points are retroactively awarded.

Grades of “P” and “F” can be assigned to internships designated by a 498 number as described in the section on Internships. The credit hours earned with a “P” will count towards the number of hours required to graduate, but will be excluded from the computation of the GPA. Grades of “F” will be included in the computation of the GPA.

Term grades may be accessed via SeaNet.


All indebtedness to the university must be satisfactorily settled before a diploma or transcript of record will be issued.

Late Registration and Drop/Add

Late registration and drop/add occur during the first week of each academic term. The dates are limited to those announced in the university calendar and as announced by the Office of the Registrar. During this period, late registration, drop/add and audit-only students are processed.

Off-Campus Courses

Students may be permitted to earn credits toward degree requirements at UNCW through course work at extension campuses and at other regionally-accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities in the United States and abroad, as well as through correspondence courses. To receive permission, a student must complete the “Permission for Transient Study” form and obtain the approval of his/her department chairperson (or the dean of University College) prior to registering for the course. Transient study forms and instructions are available at http://www.uncw.edu/reg. The permission form must be on file in the Office of the Registrar prior to the student’s leaving campus. Any exception to the residency requirement requires the signature of the department chair and dean. See also Residency Requirement.


All new students (freshmen, transfers and unclassified) are required to attend an orientation program prior to the beginning of their first term. The purpose of orientation is to acquaint students with academic requirements, campus services, and involvement opportunities. During orientation, students will work with an academic advisor, take placement tests as needed, and register for classes. Students will receive information about the orientation schedule and orientation registration information in the Teal Ticket guidebook (www.uncw.edu/tealticket).

All international students are required to attend the international student orientation sessions in addition to the appropriate UNCW freshman, transfer or graduate orientations. Please contact the Office of International Programs for additional information and upcoming orientation schedules.

Policy Statement on Illegal Drugs

In accordance with policy adopted by the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina and the Board of Trustees of UNCW, disciplinary proceedings against a student, faculty member, administrator, or other employee will be initiated when the alleged conduct is deemed to affect the interest of UNCW. The penalties that may be imposed range from written warnings with probationary status to expulsion from enrollment and discharge from employment.

The full text of the policy appears in the UNCW Policies and Procedures Manual (http://www.uncw.edu/policies/documents/04.110_Policy_on_illegal_Drugs.071905.pdf), the Faculty Handbook, (http://www.uncw.edu/fac_handbook/policies/state/drugs.htm, and in both the electronic and print forms of the Code of Student Life (http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/studentconduct/code.html).

Posthumous Degree

A posthumous degree may be conferred upon a student who dies prior to but close to completion of all requirements for the degree being pursued. Information may be found at http://www.uncw.edu/aa/Policies_Reports/Posthumous-Degree.html.


Preregistration for students currently enrolled for academic credit is held each semester at specified times. Prior to preregistration all students can view special instructions and preregistration materials in their SeaNet account. Students prepare a course program, submit it at an appointed time to their advisors for review, and complete the preregistration process. Students who complete preregistration and pay fees by the designated date are registered, except in the event that they are declared academically ineligible, at the end of the preceding semester.

Progress Toward Graduation in Four Years

To graduate in four years, the student must successfully complete all graduation requirements and an average annual course load of 31 semester hours. This course load requires the student to take approximately 15-16 hours per semester or earn hours through summer enrollment. Among the factors responsible for extending the time necessary to complete degree requirements beyond four years are a student’s late decision to change majors, requiring additional course work; part-time employment while enrolled; family responsibilities; and unilateral decisions to take fewer than the recommended average of 15.5 hours per semester.


Registration occurs immediately prior to each term and is limited to the time period specified in the university calendar and other days as announced by the Office of the Registrar. This process is for students who did not preregister or are new to the university. Classes may not be added after the last day of registration and add/drop. Degree students may take up to 18 hours without special permission. Students who have a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher may be allowed, with special permission of the appropriate dean, to carry up to 21 semester hours.

Cancellation of Registration Due to Failure to Pay Tuition and Fees

Students who fail to pay or make suitable arrangements for payment of tuition and fees will have their registrations cancelled. Non-payment does not constitute official withdrawal from the university. If a student registered, but decides not to attend UNCW, the student MUST notify the Office of the Registrar in writing prior to the first day of the term. Please see Charge for Late Payment of Tuition and Fees  in the section on Expenses , subsection, Tuition and Fees .

Release of “Directory Information”

The University of North Carolina Wilmington has routinely made public certain information about its students. Typically, UNCW releases the names of students who are selected by the various honorary societies, receive scholarships, make the Dean’s List, hold offices, or are members of athletic teams. The December and May commencement programs publish the names of persons who have received degrees from UNCW during the year.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act defines the term “directory information” to include the following information: the student’s name, local address, local or contact telephone listing, UNCW e-mail address, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, place of birth, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. Additionally, weight, height and date of birth for members of athletic teams is released. The university will make public information about each student limited to these categories in ways such as those described above. Of course, information from all these categories is not made public in every listing.

Students who do not wish to have their “directory information” made public without their prior consent must complete a “Request To Prevent Disclosure Of Directory Information” form in the Office of the Registrar.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Certain personally identifiable information about students (“education records”) may be maintained at the Office of the President of the University of North Carolina, which serves the Board of Governors of the university system. This student information may be the same as, or derivative of, information maintained by a constituent institution of the university; or it may be additional information. Whatever their origins, education records maintained at the Office of the President are subject to the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA).

FERPA provides that a student may inspect his or her education records. If the student finds the records to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights, the student may request amendment to the record. FERPA also provides that a student’s personally identifiable information may not be released to someone else unless (1) the student has given a proper consent for disclosure or (2) provisions of FERPA or federal regulations issued pursuant to FERPA permit the information to be released without the student’s consent.

A student may file with the U.S. Department of Education a complaint concerning failure of the Office of the President or an institution to comply with FERPA.

The policies of the Office of the President of the University of North Carolina concerning FERPA may be inspected in the office at each constituent institution designated to maintain the FERPA policies of the institution. Policies of the Office of the President may also be accessed in the Office of the Secretary of The University of North Carolina, Office of the President, 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688.

Further details about FERPA and FERPA procedures at the Office of the President are to be found in the referenced policies. Questions about the policies may be directed to Legal Section, Office of the President, The University of North Carolina, Office of the President Annex Building, 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC (mailing address P.O. Box 2688, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688; telephone: 919-962-4588).

Repeating of Courses

Students who receive a grade of “C” (2.00) or better in a course may not repeat the course but may audit without credit. Students who repeat a course in which they have earned credit or for which transfer credit has been awarded, will have the status changed to audit during the term the course is repeated. Students who wish to have the grade for the course repeat show on their transcripts without the course counting in their credit total or grade point average may arrange this before the end of add/drop by submitting a Graded Course Audit Registration Form.

Students who receive a grade below a “C” (2.00) in a course taken at UNCW may repeat the course at UNCW. For the first five different courses repeated, the previous grade and hours of credit for the repeated course will not be used in calculating the student’s grade point average and hours toward graduation. All grades shall remain on the student’s transcript.

In interpreting the policy it is to be understood that:

  1. the term “first five times” means
    1. that the policy is automatically operative for a student the first time that the student repeats a course, and
    2. that the five repeats involve five different courses;
  2. a student may go beyond 5 course repeats, but such repeats will not enjoy the privilege of the policy;
  3. all students will be able to enjoy the benefits of this policy irrespective of prior course repeat activity;
  4. this policy does not govern the repeating of graduate courses (see the Graduate Catalogue for the appropriate policy).

Students enrolled in a special topics course for a grade replacement must enroll in the same topic for which they originally received an unsatisfactory grade. Grades earned in repeated courses will not be used to replace grades earned as part of a degree once it has been conferred.

Note: A failing grade received owing to admitted or adjudicated academic dishonesty shall not be replaced if the course is repeated. Both the penalty grade and the new grade shall appear on the student’s transcript and count in the student’s grade point average. A student may not appeal the policy stated in this paragraph to any faculty or administrative level.

Requirements for a Double Major or a Double Degree

A student may elect to major in two separate disciplines with the permission of the chair of each of the departments and on the condition that the student meets all requirements for each major. A student who completes 124 hours and all requirements for more than one major in the same baccalaureate program will have only one degree conferred, but all majors will be printed on the transcript.

A student who completes 124 credit hours and meets all requirements for majors in different baccalaureate programs may have both degrees conferred. A student may not simultaneously receive two different baccalaureate degrees within the same department (e.g., a B.S. and a B.A. degree).

A student may not normally receive a second baccalaureate degree in a department in which a degree has been earned previously. An exception may be made only when a department has an established policy regarding the circumstances in which a second degree may be awarded.

A student who returns to the university after the initial graduation to complete the requirements for a second major may have the additional major added to the official record upon written notification from the department chairperson that all departmental requirements have been met satisfactorily. A new diploma will be issued reflecting the new major and will be subject to the replacement diploma fee.

Requirements for Another Baccalaureate Degree

A student with a baccalaureate degree from UNCW may receive a second baccalaureate degree in a different major. The student must meet all the requirements for the second degree and major, including 31 hours in residency, at least 15 semester hours in the major at the 300-400 level, and course work that meets the spirit of UNCW’s current university studies requirements.

Requirements for Graduation

Application for graduation must be filed in the Office of the Registrar on or before the dates specified in the university calendar. Online applications may be submitted from www.uncw.edu/reg. A $6 diploma fee is added to the student’s account at application time.

Students may qualify for the bachelor’s degree by completing successfully (1) the university studies requirements, (2) the residency requirement, (3) an approved course of study in an academic major, (4) a minimum of 124 semester hours of credit, and (5) a minimum grade point average of 2.00.

Graduation will be certified at the end of the term in which all academic requirements are complete. Upon completion of all requirements, the student will receive either the Bachelor of Arts, the Bachelor of Fine Arts in creative writing, the Bachelor of Music, the Bachelor of Science, or the Bachelor of Social Work degree. In advising and registering students, the deans, the registrar and faculty advisors try to make certain that every student who intends to graduate from the university registers for those courses which are required for a degree. The student, however, must assume the final responsibility for meeting the graduation requirements set forth in the university catalogue.

A continuing student or a student returning from “on-leave” status who enrolls at the University of North Carolina Wilmington during any academic year and who earns credit for work done during the year may graduate under the provisions of the entering catalogue or under any subsequent catalogue, provided all graduation requirements are completed within six years of the expiration date of the catalogue chosen. 

  • Re-enrolling students who were academically eligible or had earned at least 89 credit hours when they left UNCW may choose to enroll under the catalogue in place when they return, or they may enroll under a previous catalogue from a year in which they earned credit, provided all graduation requirements are completed within six years of the expiration date of the catalogue chosen.
  • Re-enrolling students who have been academically dismissed or were academically ineligible and had earned 88 or fewer credit hours when they left UNCW must enroll under the catalogue in effect when they re-enroll at UNCW.
  • Catalogues are effective for one academic year, beginning with the fall term and expiring at the end of the summer term.

Students may be allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony if they have completed requirements for graduation or if they are expected to meet the graduation requirements with the completion of one course of up to four hours during the term immediately following the graduation ceremony. Students who are one course short must notify the Office of the Registrar by the end of the seventh week of the semester of their intent to participate in the ceremony. Their names will not be published in the Commencement Program.

Residency Requirement

To qualify for the bachelor’s degree, students must complete at least the following coursework offered through the University of North Carolina Wilmington: (1) 15 semester hours in the major at the 300-400 level and (2) a total of 31 semester hours. Exceptions to requirement (1) may be made only with the approval of the department chair and the appropriate dean. Requirement (2) may not be waived.

Retention, Dismissal and Readmission

The University of North Carolina Wilmington both encourages and requires scholarship. In order to remain at the university, all students enrolling fall 2010 and later must meet the grade point requirements outlined below.


Total Quality (GPA) Hours and Transfer Hours

Good Academic


Required Grade Point Average for Eligibility to Continue in the University

1 – 45
46 – more
1.75 – 1.99 1.75

Transfer students are placed in the above retention chart based on total hours transferred from all institutions attended. Transfer students’ grade point averages are computed only on quality hours attempted through the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Academic Probation

An undergraduate is automatically placed on academic probation when the cumulative GPA drops below 2.0.

  • Students who fall within the academic probation category at the end of any semester will be limited to enrolling in no more than 14 hours in the following semester.
  • A student on academic probation is expected to show satisfactory academic progress by the end of the next semester, regardless of the number of hours attempted. Satisfactory academic progress is generally defined as improvement in the GPA earned at the end of each semester during the probationary period. A student is expected be in good academic standing within 30 credit hours after being placed on academic probation.
  • When a student is placed on academic probation, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange regular meetings with his or her academic advisor to consider specific academic intervention strategies.

Academic Dismissal

Students who do not meet the minimum grade point requirement for retention at the conclusion of the spring semester will be academically ineligible. The student will be allowed to make up deficiencies during this university’s summer sessions immediately following the spring semester in which the ineligibility was declared.

  • If a student is not in good academic standing at the conclusion of the summer sessions, the student will be dismissed from the university and will not be permitted to enroll for two consecutive regular semesters (fall and spring).
  • Full-time (at least 12 hours) students who earn a 0.0 GPA in any semester will be dismissed from the university and will not be permitted to enroll for two consecutive regular semesters.
  • Full-time students (at least 12 hours) who do not earn at least a 1.00 semester GPA and pass at least nine academic hours in any semester will be reviewed by the appropriate dean to determine academic eligibility.
  • Readmission in both cases above is contingent upon the results of the Re-enrollment Review.
  • If a student is allowed to re-enroll, he/she must see an academic advisor before registering for classes. See also Admissions - Former Students  (Re-enrolling).
  • Academically dismissed students may enroll in any summer session.

Students who have been academically dismissed for the first time may seek administrative review of mitigating circumstances for authorization to enroll in the following semester under an academic contract.

Students seeking a review must submit the required appeal form and a written statement outlining their circumstance to the appropriate dean. The appeal must be submitted to the appropriate dean within 10 days after the end of the last semester (spring or summer) in which a student is registered. Students must understand that the submission of an appeal does not guarantee the student will be allowed to enroll. The appeal process may take several days to be completed.

After a second declaration of academic dismissal, eligibility for continued residence can be restored only by completion of sufficient work during the summer sessions at the University of North Carolina Wilmington.

Student Conduct

The filing of an application for admission shall be construed as both evidence and a pledge that the applicant accepts the standards and regulations of the University of North Carolina Wilmington and agrees to abide by them. Each student, by the act of registering, is obligated to obey all rules and regulations of the university as stated in the Code of Student Life, university catalogue, and other university publications. The university reserves the right to ask for the withdrawal of any student who refuses to adhere to the standards of the institution.


Transcripts are permanent student records maintained by the Office of the Registrar. A transcript provides an unabridged chronological listing of the academic history of a student’s study at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. This is the document which is forwarded at the request of the student or former student to persons or agencies for their use in reviewing the academic performance of the student.

Transcripts are issued to students by the Office of the Registrar. All requests for transcripts must be in writing with the student’s signature or through SeaNet. A printable Transcript Request Form is available at www.uncw.edu/reg. Valid picture ID is required for personal pick up of transcripts. The fee for each transcript is $5.00.

Unless modified in accordance with established procedures, each grade assigned by faculty (including a grade of “W” or a grade in a course that has been repeated) is permanent and cannot be removed from a student’s official record or transcript.

Transfer of Credit

Students transferring to UNCW may receive up to 93 semester hours of academic credit from all regionally-accredited institutions attended; however, no more than 64 semester hours can be transferred from two-year institutions. Correspondence courses (15 semester hours maximum), CLEP credit and military credit will be counted toward the total.

Credit earned at another institution with a grade of “C” (2.00) or better is accepted by the university if the work transferred is comparable to offerings of the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Transfer students must meet the university’s residency requirement. Hours attempted and grade points earned at other institutions are not used in computing grade point averages except in the case of students applying to enter the nursing program and seniors graduating with honors and/or distinction.

Transient Study

See Off-Campus Courses.

Tuition Surcharge

All new undergraduates seeking a baccalaureate degree at the University of North Carolina Wilmington will be subjected to a 50% tuition surcharge if they take more than 140 credit hours to complete a four-year degree program or more than 110% of the required credit hours to complete an officially designated five-year program. For details concerning counted credit hours, students subject to the surcharge, students exempt from the surcharge, and the way that the surcharge is calculated, see the preceding catalogue section on Expenses , subsection, Tuition Surcharge .

Withdrawal Policy for Undergraduate Students

A student may drop any or all courses without financial or academic penalty through the end of the first week of the semester. Inclusive of the second through the seventh week of the semester, any student who withdraws from the university or from individual courses will receive a grade of “W.” A grade of “W” will not affect the student’s grade point average. Beginning with the eighth week of the semester, a grade of “WF” will be assigned for each course withdrawal and will count as GPA hours; this failing grade may be changed to “W” should extenuating circumstances warrant. If a student is suspended after the deadline for withdrawal with a “W,” each instructor shall assign a grade of “WF” or “W” based upon the student’s academic performance prior to the suspension.

A student may withdraw from an individual class or classes through the seventh week of classes, via SeaNet or by reporting to the Office of the Registrar before or on the last day for withdrawal, as indicated in the university calendar. Students attending summer sessions need to be cognizant that the withdrawal period in summer may be only one or two days. Therefore, summer school students should carefully note the last day to withdraw from classes as found in the summer school university calendar at www.uncw.edu/reg.

To withdraw from all classes and the university at any other time during the semester, the student must process an official withdrawal form through the Office of the Dean of Students. If the student is unable to appear in person to withdraw from all classes and the university, written notice must be sent to the Office of the Dean of Students. No withdrawals (“W” or “WF”) shall be processed during the final exam period. Refer to the Expenses  section of this catalogue for information on the refund policy for complete withdrawal or individual class withdrawal.

Should extenuating circumstances warrant, the grade of “WF” assigned for course withdrawal after the withdrawal deadline may be changed to a “W.” Documented extenuating circumstances may include: death of an immediate family member; traumatic and unforeseen circumstances which are considered beyond a student’s control; prolonged emotional instability, physical injury or illness which has resulted in the student’s inability to complete academic responsibilities.

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate an appeal for this change by submitting a written request and supporting documentation. In the case of late withdrawal, the student must initiate the appeal in the office of the dean who oversees the student’s major. The dean may approve or deny this request for a “W.” In cases where the request is denied by the dean, the student may submit, within ten regular class days of the dean’s decision, a written request for consideration with supporting documentation to the Committee on Withdrawal Appeals. Grounds for appeals are limited to substantive new evidence or material procedural irregularity. All decisions made by the Committee on Withdrawal Appeals are final. The written request with supporting documentation must be made by the last day of classes in the semester following the one for which the withdrawal is requested. A grade of “WF” that is not appealed successfully remains a permanent part of the student’s academic record.

Students should refer to the Scholarships and Financial Aid  section related to Policy on Return of Title IV Funds for information about how withdrawing impacts financial aid eligibility.