2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalogue Archived Catalogue
Three-Plus-Two Computer Science and Electrical or Computer Engineering Program
Click Here for change to 2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalogue
Dr. A. Reamer, Dr. S. Narayan, advisors.
The Three-Plus-Two Computer Science and Electrical or Computer Engineering Program is a cooperative agreement between the University of North Carolina Wilmington Computer Science Program and the North Carolina State University Electrical and Computer Engineering Program. The program gives students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in computer science from the University of North Carolina Wilmington and a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical or computer engineering from North Carolina State University. Students must complete all course work listed below to satisfy the Three-Plus-Two Program requirements. This UNCW phase of study can be completed in three years. Students meeting NCSU’s transfer admission requirements (see below) are accepted in the Electrical Engineering Program at NCSU. This program can be completed in two years and a summer session. UNCW will accept credits from NCSU to complete degree requirements at UNCW and NCSU will accept credits from UNCW to complete degree requirements at NCSU. Thus, the student receives a degree from UNCW and a degree from NCSU.
To complete the Three-Plus-Two Program, a student must complete the following courses at UNCW:
- All UNCW university studies and graduation requirements.
- Computer Science General Core Requirements: CHM 101 ; MAT 161 , MAT 162 ; PHY 201 , PHY 202
- Computer Science for the B.S. Degree Core Requirements: CSC 100 , CSC 121 , CSC 133 , CSC 221 , CSC 242 , CSC 332 , CSC 340 , CSC 342 , CSC 360 , CSC 385 , CSC 434 , CSC 450 , CSC 455 .
- Computer Science Oral Requirement: CSC 495 or any other approved oral communication intensive course (see list here ).
- Computer Science Computer Requirement: CSC 121 .
- Computer Science Elective Credits: 9 hours.
- Additional courses prescribed by the Electrical Engineering Program at NCSU. Of these, the following are taught on-site at UNCW as distance education classes: ECE 109, ECE 200, ECE 209, ECE 212 and E 115.
A student must finish the UNCW phase of study with an overall GPA of at least 3.00, a 2.00 GPA at NCSU, and have at least a 2.50 GPA in the last two calculus courses (MAT 162 and MAT 261 ) to meet NCSU’s transfer admission requirements. Students in this program will be advised jointly by the chair of the Department of Computer Science and the director of the Engineering Program at UNCW to assure completion of the correct requirements for both programs.